||SFTP of PDF Files
Selected Scientific American articles will be supplied in pdf format via secure file transport protocol (SFTP). These files were prepared by scanning original articles and converting images into pdf files, which are suitable for on-screen viewing or printing with Adobe Acrobat. Most pdf files are 1½ to 3 megabytes in size. The files are identified by last name of the author for each article.
FileZilla is recommended. Download the free FileZilla client software appropriate for your computer operating system. Other software that supports SFTP may be utilized, although students may have to modify these procedures slightly to accommodate their own computer systems.
- Open the FileZilla site manager (left button on tool bar) and create a new site as indicated below.
- On the general tab, for host address enter: quagmire.emporia.edu
- Under protocol select: SFTP - SSH. Leave the port box blank. For logon type select normal.
- For user ID enter: esuad\your_ESU_user_ID (esuad\ followed by student user ID).
- Password enter your normal Buzz-In student password. Now click on the advanced tab.
- For the default local directory enter the location of your student folder, for example: C:\student\tectonic\
- For the default remote directory enter: /var/www/academic/aberjame/datasets/tectonic
- Click the connect button and wait for the SFTP connection to be established.
- Select files to copy from the remote host to the local computer; click-and-drag to transfer files. Students have read-only access to download files.
Return to tectonics syllabus.
GO 326/ES 767 © Aber (2015).